Saturday, November 19, 2005

The life of being single: clothing dramas

I went out last night for the first time since August. I've really missed going out and losing my hearing and spending too much money on drinks (this may sound sarcastic, but I am very serious). Although I do have one question, what are you suppose to wear when you go out? I feel too old to be wearing Brittany Spears type clothes (I realize I have also dated myself by using her as a reference) and too stuffy to be wearing dress shirts and dress pants. Somehow I don't really think J.Crew sells clubbing clothes nor would I want to spend $100 for the scrapings of a normal shirt. So often I feel like I'm overdone or try too hard to stay cool but really, coolness passed me a long time ago. Or as my roommate likes to tell me, I look like I'm ready to go to a business meeting.
Being single and going out is a little different then when you're dating someone; the biggest difference is that you notice all the weird creepy guys a lot more. For example, there was this one guy who kept trying to get his grove on with my friends and me, so I thought I'd create a list of ways to avoid people like these when out and about at night:
1. Avoid eye contact. I prefer staring at the ceiling because when you look at the floor too much than you no longer exude confidence. Also, I think it's easier to trip when looking at the floor.
2. Don't smile. By keeping a serious face at all times, people think that you are antisocial and annoyances.
3. Keep your mind occupied. Theory: out of sight, out of mind.
4. Go out with lots of girls. This decreases your probability of being hit on for several reasons. Guys are scared of girls in groups and he is more likely to hit on your friends than you.
5. Drink just enough that you no longer think about this or care. This is my personal favorite, although it also the more expensive of the options. However, the trick here is to drink just the right amount . Too much means you've become tipsy, too little just leaves you feeling gross.

1 Comments:

Blogger Laura Ibsen said...

I find that my outfits depend on the places I go to. If I go to Gastof's, for example, I wear jeans with boots and a cute top. But, if yI'm going out downtown, I might up the ante with black pants.

I wouldn't waste my time on worring about eye contact smiling if I was you. Life's too short. I say go out with your friends and have fun. Do whatever makes you feel comfortable. If some idiot approaches you, you're more than capable to deal with them. Plus, if anything you may get an interesting blog entry out of it. Next time, come out with me and we'll tear it up together. :)

11:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home