Monday, April 03, 2006

Oh cruel world!

I have a rare allergic reaction to exercise that is often induced by the eating of seafood, and up until today it has been the only confirmed allergy. Now the correct medical terminology for my disease is called exercise-induced anaphylaxic shock. What happens is this: after cardiovascular exercise my body starts to swell and if the condition worsens my throat starts to swell up and I go into "shock" (blood pressure and heart rate drops) and need to shoot myself with an Epipen and some benedryl. I discovered this condition last April when I was running to class and passed out at Baseline, last summer I also went into shock after a step class in Boston. Since those times I have stopped eating seafood (which was the main cause of this disease) and have slowly gotten back into running.
I love running in the cities, it energizes me and, more importantly, it destresses me and takes my mind off of things I do not like or want to think about. I am suppose to run with a few things: an epipen, a cell phone, and a medical ID bracelet. I currently run with: my house keys and an IPod. Now, in order for me to carry all these things with me as I run is nearly impossible as stuff would fall out with every bounce of my step; so I chose to run at my own risk.
My doctor has always told me that certain pollens, trees, and other things natural to my environment could trigger an attack; but since each case is different, it is difficult to pinpoint exactly what it is I am allergic to. Today, I found out that I am allergic Spring. After my run, my arm started to do the normal red blotch and swelling thing; except today my hands also started to swell (sign number 1 of trouble) and then my lips (sign number 2) and then my face (this is where I usually go uh-oh). I was still a good quarter of a mile away from home (and my trusty epipen) and without a phone. I had a few choices: 1. Run home (which would make my condition worse, but get me closer to the epipen) 2. Rub my face and body (which might as well be a literal death sentence) or 3. Walk and pray that the swelling goes down once my heart rate decreases. I opted for choice 3 and after about 10 minutes, the swelling, itchiness, and redness started to die down.
Now here is my confession: I do not scared from many physical things, but this running thing has me a little nervous. It has been getting worse and worse as I get closer and closer to summer and I am afraid that one of these days I will need to shoot myself with the Pen again...so should I stop running outside altogether? But its the outside and the act of being there in physical exertion that makes me feel good...but what if I die from doing it?

11 Comments:

Blogger Jordan said...

Chen,
This is terrible... but isn't spring like the worst time of year for almost all allergies? I would think things will actually get better for you once summer rolls around. Is there some anti-allergy thing you can take before running? Does benadryl do that kind of thing (disclaimer don't do that before talking to someone with an actual medical license)????

5:33 PM  
Blogger Mark said...

CHen, that sucks. I just found out a few months ago that I have the seafood allergy too. So far it has nothing to do with exercise or spring. I made it almost 25 years without having real seafood. My mom has been hassling me for months about getting an Epipen. I just change the subject.

How long until Ipods counteract allergies? They need to get to work on that. Hey, if my mom made me get an epipen and I lived in MN and liked running we could run together and then only one of us would have to carry one and (that's a lot of ands) then we would be safe unless we both needed it at the same time. I of course would let you have it because I am really caring and that way after you're fixed you would have to keep running knowing that my life balances in your hands and I would get to take a break(kindof).

Anyway. Be careful.

7:06 AM  
Blogger chen said...

Jordan,

I consider you to be an actual doctor, even if you lack the credit medical crudentials (or crudentials at all).

Mark,

I'm so glad to see that you care for me and are willing to sacrifice your life for mine. You are a true Blog friend.
My iPod has already done a good job of blocking out the sleeze allergy, aka Minneapolis hoodlums. Its benefits against seafood has so far been limited, but I trust Steve Job will come up with something soon.
Also, I think you should get an Epipen, its kind of a rush to use the thing (or so I have been told) and it can be a weapon if in the right hands.

8:33 AM  
Blogger chen said...

Mark,

I'm also a little confused how you can find out that you have a seafood allergy yet never have eaten the stuff.

8:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Chen,

I don't like to run outside. Its a complicted issue, but I have breathing trouble. So, when I run outside, I can hear myself breathing really hard, and I get scared and psych myself out and can't run anymore. I am too poor to buy an ipod, and listening to only one cd in my cd player doesn't hold my attention for long while running, though it is good for rollerblading.

Anyway, I've really taken to running on a treadmill. Right now, its right down the hall in my building, and they have a sweet tv with cable, so I'm always entertained (except last night when some guy got there first and made me watch the NCAA tourney, then left without handing me the remote - selfish jerk!).

This is all to say that I'm thinking of buying a treadmill to go in when we move - if that's alright with you. Perhaps, if you're interested, we could all buy it together and all use it? That way we'd have year-round running as well.

(But, if you want to run outside, I'd still occasionally go with you. Of course, if you start sporting a fannypack to hold all the junk you need to take with you, I may need to run on the other side of the street. I'm sure you understand. :)

10:01 AM  
Blogger chen said...

Laura,

we should run outside together, that would be so much fun! And then I wouldn't need Mark to run with me (not that it's not welcomed) and you can save me if I go into shock! We should train for a 10K together or something...also I breath really heavily when I run too, so no worries there.

10:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, I usually run two miles. Actually, I interspurse walking and running (one lap of each, or 1/4 mile of each, repeatedly) until I reach 2 miles. Then I stop.

So, I don't think I'll be training for any 10k any time soon, as of yet I can't run 1/2 mile straight through.

I think I'll save up for the treadmill. (It shows you how many laps around the track you're doing and again, you can watch TV).

11:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

But yes, I would save you if you went into shock. I could carry you home, and you could rest along the way. I'm good like that. :)

And, by "breathing heavy" I meant that my airpaths close up, making it very difficult to breath. This is also very painful, as my airways become inflamed. Also, when its really bad I taste blood in my mouth.

I'm not sure that you wanted to know all of that. Sorry for the grossness.

11:33 AM  
Blogger chen said...

Laura,

Thank you for recognizing the hidiousness (sp?) of running with a fanny pack. I would run on the other side of the street too if I were running with a fanny-pack wearer.

I'm sorry to hear about the blood thing...that sounds really bad...yeah.

7:24 PM  
Blogger Mark said...

baaaahhh!! I had fresh tuna here in Japan. Twice. Can I post pictures in these comments? I had a cool rash and it's well documented thanks to my digital camera.

Your blog friend
Mark

6:53 AM  
Blogger Jordan said...

It's normal to taste blood/phlegm when running hard. In fact if you don't taste some and if your saliva doesn't feel different at the end of the run you haven't run hard enough.

Disclaimer:
The above information is based solely on what happens to me when I run...and thus it is defined as normal.

9:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home