Monday, April 10, 2006

Day 1 in China

Ok, so I don't think I'm allowed to read blogs in while in China, perhaps its a security issue. It's about 7am here in Shanghai and I already have been up for at least 2 hours...gotta love jetlag. This morning I realized that Chinese television sucks. I don't understand what any of the shows are about, and the only channel that's in English is some dumb business news station. I found 2 stations that showed cartoons but the cartoons weren't that great either. My mom and I are going to go for a walk in a little bit to buy breakfast and I think I'm going to buy some English movies this afternoon so that I'll have something to watch in the mornings.

So here's a review of my long flight to China: I landed in Tokyo last night and had to use the bathroom. As I was walking in the bathroom I noticed 2 girls walking from stall to stall, I followed them to the back part of the bathroom and they went into their stalls. I looked left and I saw a sqauty-potty, with a nice picture drawn on the side on the stall to show that its a squatty-potty. At first I had thought I walked into the wrong bathroom, but then I realized that I was in Asia and people here use squatty-pottys. But do not worry...there were normal toilets on my right so I used those. My goal is to not use a squatty-potty the entire time I am here.

In China, I had to wait in line to clear customs. The line was super long so I decided to take my camera out and take a picture of the "Welcome to Shanghai" sign. A customs police than came over to me and told me I can't take pictures...oops, I now have a rare photo of a "Welcome to Shanghai" sign on my camera...perhaps I can sell it on Ebay:-)

Finally, this morning I got blasted in the shower. It was like that Sienfield episode where Kramer buys a super powerful, illegal showerhead. The showerhead was so powerful that I can only stay under the water for 10secs before needing a quick water break...crazy engineers!

So those are the happenings as of the last 24 or maybe its been 48 hours (I lost a day traveling so I'm a little confused)...hope all in well.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You should post a picture of a squaty-potty...I'm not sure what one is but I think I saw a few in Kosovo.

8:24 AM  
Blogger Jordan said...

Chen whatever you do don't get arrested for writing on your blog. It's not worth it even though we want to know what is going on.

10:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

But if you do get arrested, be sure to take pictures.

2:35 PM  
Blogger chen said...

No worries on the toilet situation...I plan on posting an evolution of the toilet system throughout the years once I take pictures of the dirthole my relatives use.

Also, no worries on the arrests...my dad's pimpin out here in China, I can get his driver to help me escape the clutches of the law...although we might get lost as the driver isn't so great with directions and I can't read Chinese.

4:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home