Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Repairmen

I bought a grill the other day and the little thermometer on the grill didn't work. No big deal. I talked to the guys at Sears and they were kind enough to send out a repairman to look at the problem today. The lady on the phone told me that the repairman would be by sometime between 8-12. Again no big deal. She also told me that I will get a reminder call the night before. Call recieved, step one done. Finally, she told me that someone will call prior to coming to my house to make sure that the appointment is kept. If no one answers, then the repairman will assume no one is home and I have to reschedule. Kind of makes sense, so whatever.

I get up this morning at 7:30 and decided to do some cleaning. Well, I decided to clean, then shower seeing as how I might work up a sweat during cleaning or lose motivation after the shower. So I get done with all my stuff at around 9. Now I want to shower. But the repairman hasn't called. So I take the phone into the shower with me and put the face of the phone towards me so that I can look at it every few minutes to make sure that I haven't missed a call. Shower done, still no call. Then I decided to clean some things up in the garage. So I take my phone with me. Cleaning done, still no call. Then I decided to vacuum and stuck the phone in my back "pocket". Vacuuming done, still no call. It is now 11am and I still have not received a call. In the meantime, however, I have become so paranoid that I will miss the repairman's call that the phone is no more than 6inches away from me at all times. I really hate repairmen, they know that they have control of time and my schedule for 4 hours today and they are using it to their full advantage. I am shaking my fist at them and silently cursing my willingness to give into their sick controlling ways. Blah.

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

did anybody ever call/show up?

also, the miss minnesota pageant experience was a LITTLE like what you see in miss congeniality (one of my very favorite movies), minus the sharp wit of sandra bullock.

11:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Chen,

I think that you need to open up your fist and instead extend a hand of friendship toward your repairman. That's what Jesus would do. ;)

Nicole,

Have you ever seen the movie "Beautiful"? Its about pagents too. Is that similar to how contentants view their pagent?

3:10 PM  
Blogger Jordan said...

Chen,
Without a doubt repairmen are the spawn of darkness. One of the worst is Verizon (and I think Comcast). At least they told you what half of the working day they'd come (did they come? I bet they came after their allotted time). Verizon has said something like, "sometime between 8 am and 6 pm." Oh gee, thanks. I'll just take a day of vacation for your inability to schedule--umm no, instead I'll cancel the service.

10:06 AM  
Blogger chen said...

Update on the grill: the repairman came, at 11:45, (woohoo 15min before noon) and looked at my grill for all of a minute (ok, it was more like 30sec) and said, "i'll have to mail you a part and then you can put it on yourself."
Thanks repairman, I already knew I needed a part (that is why I called you) and I thought the whole purpose of having a repairman come in and telling them your problems in advance was so that the man could repair it when they came over.

Nicole,
I'm so happy to hear that pageants are just like those in the movies...perhaps you could be sharp and witty like Sandra Bullock and then also become Miss Congentiality and Miss MN at the same time.

Jordan,
Thank you once again for understanding my pain. Because of what you wrote I will never use Verizon ever again.

1:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well if it gets bad enough to inspire a video - let us all know!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvVp7b5gzqU

mark

1:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Chen - you need to talk with Sam. They had an electrician come over to their house to fix a wiring problem. He kept talking out loud, even when there was no one in the room to speak with. After he found out that Sam was in Vet school, he asked about a time when he drove past a racoon that had been run over on the highway and was about to die. He asked her if there was anything he could have done in that situation to save it.

Then a bat fell out of the wall where he was working, and he stomped on it and killed it. Then he asked her if there was anything he could do to help it at that point.

Also, he had an assistant, whome he kept asked for assistance with things. He'd as her to get something out of the truck, or put stuff away, but she would never do anything. Then, she decided to lay down and curl up on the landing of their stairs and not move for an hour.

Very bizzare.

4:04 PM  
Blogger chen said...

electricians who share too much about their lives, not a good thing.

Rrepairmen not being able to get ahold of their own people, rediculously not a good thing. Thanks Comcast, I will also never use your service either. (see mark's website if confused)

10:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think you should have just gone to Sears and got the part and said they needed pay for it :)

3:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Greets to the webmaster of this wonderful site! Keep up the good work. Thanks.
»

4:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great site lots of usefull infomation here.
»

7:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Chen...so what happend to the repaire man? Did he ever come to your rescue? I would've called the place and tell them the guy wasn't there yet and then when he hurries his butt over there he'll have to apologize...no excuses! Haha! Post something on my page when ya got a chance i'll send a message on your myspace...talk to you later!

1:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home